Has Police Misconduct Negatively Affected Your Life?

There is no doubt that law enforcement officers and police personnel hold a lot of power in the communities they serve. They are the people who citizens call to help them in times of need. They are the first responders at emergency situations. They put their life on the line every time they report for duty.

As Voltaire once said, “with great power comes great responsibility.” As a police officer, there is oftentimes a fine line between what is acceptable behavior and what is considered misconduct on the job.

For instance, while it is acceptable for law enforcement officers to use some amount of force to detain a suspect, using brutality or excessive force may fall under the category of police misconduct.

Other examples of police misconduct include discrimination, violating the First Amendment rights of citizens, wrongful conviction, false arrest, and conducting illegal unwarranted searches of persons or property, harassment, or other unacceptable or abusive behaviors.

What to Do If You Suspect You’re a Victim of Police Misconduct

If you or someone you love was a victim of police misconduct or brutality in the Boston area, discussing your situation with a lawyer with expertise in this field of the law is imperative to protecting your rights and the safety of others.

Depending on the severity of the misconduct and any losses this police misconduct may have caused, you may qualify for compensation for damages.

A skilled legal team who understands the regulations surrounding police misconduct is in a position to help individuals or families who have suffered at the hands of an unwieldy police force. After telling them your side of the story, they can advise whether they feel you have a strong case that is likely to uphold scrutiny in the justice system.

Once they have established the validity of a potential police misconduct case, your lawyer will pursue every avenue available to prove your case and seek justice for you.

If you were seriously injured during the confrontation, this could include damages for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

If you think that you are a victim of police misconduct, Contact the offices of Hedges & Tumposky to discuss your case today. We are here to help!

Do Not Face Trial without a Skilled Criminal Attorney on Your Side

If you have been named as a suspect in a crime or you have been arrested for criminal activity in the Boston area, do not overlook the importance of having a skilled criminal attorney on your side.

Skilled Criminal Attorneys who are hired to defend your case are there to help “suspects” get the best possible outcome for their pending case, whether it be establishing the innocence of their client, securing a plea agreement, or representing clients in appeals and post-conviction legal proceedings.

Know Your Rights!

Every person, regardless of innocence or guilt, should understand their rights and take full advantage of them if they are being detained.

If you are being held in connection with an allegation of criminal activity, your Miranda Rights uphold your right to remain silent. This right is one that you should take advantage of. Since anything that you say “can and will be used against you” in a Boston area court of law, it is always smarter to say nothing until you have an experienced criminal lawyer there to offer guidance and sound legal counsel based on the specifics of your case.

The Number of Plea Agreements Exceed Criminal Trials

In the Boston area, less than 10% of criminal cases ever go to trial. The other 90% or more are settled by coming to a Plea Agreement. A plea agreement typically requires the defendant in the case to admit to sufficient facts or plead guilty to certain charges. As a part of the plea agreement, other charges may be dropped or treated with leniency.

Defendants who have a criminal attorney on their side are there to assure that they are fairly represented in these potentially life altering proceedings. Criminal attorneys investigate your case and know the legal precedents to help defend you at trial or, if appropriate, work out a favorable resolution.

If you or a loved one is facing charges for alleged criminal activity in the Boston area, call the offices of Hedges & Tumposky to speak with an attorney today.

Our firm delivers results!